Information on the Collection of Personal Data
The operators of these websites take the protection of your personal data very seriously.
Personal data are all data that can be related to you personally, such as name, address, email addresses, and user behavior (information referring to an identifiable natural person (Art. 4, No. 1 of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR))).
Controller according to Art. 4, par. 7 GDPR is the President of KIT, Professor Dr.-Ing. Holger Hanselka, Kaiserstrasse 12, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany, firstname.lastname@example.org (see Legals). Our Data Protection Commissioner can be contacted at email@example.com or by ordinary mail with “Die Datenschutzbeauftragte” (the data protection commissioner) being indicated on the envelope.
When you contact us by electronic mail or via a contact form, the data given by you (your email address and, if applicable, your name and your phone number) will be stored by us to answer your questions. The data arising in this connection will be erased as soon as storage will no longer be required or processing will be restricted, if legal obligations to retain the data exist.
We would like you to note that internet-based data transmission (e.g. when communicating by electronic mail) may have security gaps. Absolute protection of data against access by third parties may not be guaranteed.
Collection of Personal Data
When using the website for information purposes only, i.e. when you do not register or transmit other information, we will only collect the personal data that are transmitted by your browser to our server according to the settings made by you (server log files). For viewing our website, we collect the data required for this purpose and needed for ensuring stability and security according to Art. 6, par. 1, clause 1, (f) GDPR:
- Anonymized IP address
- Date and time of access
- Time zone difference to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
- Content of the access (concrete site)
- Status of access/HTTP status code
- Data volume transmitted
- Website from which an accessing system reaches our website
For registered users, the following data will also be saved:
- Given name and family name
- E-mail address
- A cryptographically secure hash of your password
- If using the Shibboleth-login (KIT-login): A Shibboleth identification
- A randomly generated token for the purpose of local registration, change of e-mail address and password reset
For students, the following data will also be saved:
- Information about your study (immatriculation number, semester number, version of the exam policy)
- State of the exams (passed,waiting for mark,waiting for oral exam or not started) that are prerequisites for PSE
- Entered project preferences
- If entered by the adviser: grades for the single phases (cf. module handbooks) and the overall grade
- For student groups: name, password (hashed) and list of members
- Distribution result
- Registration state for PSE and TSE (imported from Campus)
For advisers, the following data will also be saved:
- Affiliation to your chair
For reasons of security and for the protection of the transmission of confidential contents, such as inquiries sent to us as website operator, this website uses SSL encryption. In case of an encrypted connection, the address line of the browser changes from http:// to https:// and the lock symbol is indicated in your browser line.
When SSL encryption is activated, third parties cannot read the data you transmit to us as a rule.
As far as your personal data stored by us are concerned, you have the following rights:
- Right of access
- Right to rectification or erasure
- Right to restriction of processing
- Right to object to data processing
- Right to data portability
(3) In the case of manifestly unfounded or excessive requests, we can charge a reasonable fee. Otherwise, information will be provided free of charge (Article 12, par. 5 GDPR).
(4) In the case of reasonable doubts concerning the identity of the natural person asserting the above rights, we may request the provision of additional information necessary to confirm the identity of the data subject (Article 12, par. 6 GDPR).
In addition to the data mentioned above, cookies are stored on your personal computer when using our website. Cookies are small text files stored in your computer system by the browser used by you, through which we (the server of our website) obtain certain information. Cookies cannot execute any programs or transmit viruses to your computer. They serve to make internet offers more user-friendly, more effective, and quicker. It is distinguished between session cookies (transient cookies) and permanent (persistent) cookies.
Transient cookies are deleted automatically when you close the browser. They include in particular the session cookies. These store a so-called session ID, through which queries of your browser can be allocated to the joint session. They allow us to identify your computer when you return to our website. Session cookies are deleted when you log out or close the browser.
We use session cookies and persistent cookies exclusively. We do not use any flash cookies.
You can set your browser such that you will be informed about the setting of cookies and you can permit cookies in individual cases only, exclude the acceptance of cookies in certain cases or in general, and activate automatic deletion of cookies when closing your browser. When deactivating cookies, functionality of this website may be limited.